Permanent Vice Chairman Gao Qinghai’s Message
Gao Qinghai Profile
Gao Qinghai, a famous Chinese philosopher and outstanding educator, born on Jan. 4, 1930 in Hulin Country, Heilongjiang Province of China.
Gao was admitted to the Department of Education of the Northeast Administration School (the predecessor of Jilin University) in 1948 and was recommended to Renmin University to continue his postgraduate education in Logic and Philosophy in 1950.
He taught in Department of Philosophy of the Northeast People’s University (the predecessor of Jilin University) in 1952 and became an Associate Professor at the age of 26 in 1956. Gao was promoted to Professor and Vice Director of the Department of Philosophy in 1978. In 1981, he took up the post of Director of the Department of Philosophy and became one of the first doctoral supervisors in China and a member of the first session of the Appraisal Group of the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council. Gao became Vice President of Jilin University in 1982 and Vice Chairman of Jilin Union of Social Sciences Circles and Secretary of the Party Leadership Group in 1987. He held the post of Counselor of Jilin Union of Social Sciences Circles and the Center for Fundamentals of Philosophy of Jilin University in 2003. Gao was one of senior professors (First Class Professor) of Philosophy and Social Science of Jilin University in 2004.
In 1995, Gao was honored with Golden Ball Award of Hong Kong Burlingame (China) Education Foundation. He was granted awards of Outstanding Provincial Expert of Jilin Province, Jilin Provincial Young and Middle-aged Talents with Outstanding Contributions, Provincial Advanced Worker and Provincial Outstanding Teacher. Gao was awarded for outstanding achievements in his forty-year research in philosophy and social science in Jilin Province.
Gao died of an illness on Oct. 14, 2004 at the age of 74.
In 1978, professor Gao initiated the transformation of philosophy ideas and the reform of philosophy system in China’s philosophy circles. His philosophy ideas become the important theoretical and academic resources of literature, history, sociology, politics, law and economics, and his social development theory constitutes the significant academic foundation for disciplines of economic development, political development and law development.
1. What Is Idealism, 1956, Liaoning People’s Publishing House; the translation in Korean was published in the same year.
2. Analysis of Idealism, 1958, Liaoning People’s Publishing House.
3. Relation of Dialectical Materialist and Historical Materialism (co-author), 1958, Shanghai Renmin Press.
4. Essence and Core of Materialistic Dialectics (co-author), 1959, Shanghai Renmin Press.
5. History of European Philosophy (chief editor), 1979, Jilin People’s Press.
6. Basic Knowledge of Marxist Philosophy (Vol. 1) (chief editor), 1985, People’s Publishing House.
7. Dictionary of Spiritual Civilization (chief editor), 1985, Jilin People’s Press.
8. Basic Knowledge of Marxist Philosophy (Vol. 2) (chief editor), 1987, People’s Publishing House.
9. Philosophy and Subjective Self-consciousness, 1988, Jilin University Press.
10. Cyclopedia of Literature, History and Philosophy (chief editor), 1988, Jilin People’s Press.
11. History of European Philosophy (New Version) (chief editor), 1990, Jilin People’s Press.
12. The Perspective of Philosophy – The Thought of Metaphysics, 1993, Jilin University Press.
13. Philosophical Writings of Gao Qinghai (6 Volumes), 1997, Jilin People’s Press.
14. Mankind’s “Quasi-life” and “Quasi-philosophy” (co-author), 1998, Jilin People’s Press.
15. Philosophy of Social Development (co-author), 1999, Higher Education Press.
16. Mankind is “Human”, 2001, Liaoning People’s Publishing House.
17. Sequel of Philosophical Writings of Gao Qinghai (3 Volumes), 2004, Heilongjiang Education Press.
18. Regain the Self-consciousness of Philosophy, 2004, Beijing Normal University Publishing House.
1. Relation of Dialectical Materialist and Historical Materialism, 1958, Journal of Humanities of Northeast People’s University.
2. Dialectics Is Epistemology, 1983, Social Science Front, reprinted by Xinhua Digest.
3. The Current Textbook System of Philosophy Must Be Reformed, 1985, Literature, History and Philosophy.
4. Problems in Development of Philosophy, 1986, Social Science Front, reprinted by Xinhua Digest.
5. Attempt on Reform of Philosophy System, 1986, Social Sciences Edition of Jilin University Journal.
6. The First Thought on the Exploration of Philosophy – The Transformation of Philosophy Ideas, 1987, Philosophy Researches, reprinted by Xinhua Digest.
7. Third Thought on the Exploration of Philosophy – The Meaning of Taking Practical Ideas as Thinking Mode, 1988, Social Science Front.
8. The Fourth Thought on the Exploration of Philosophy – The Re-evaluation of Opposition of Materialism and Idealism, 1989, Time Criticism, reprinted by Xinhua Digest.
9. The Research on Human and Science of Human, 1988, People’s Daily, reprinted by Xinhua Digest.
10. The Essence of Practical Ideas, 1989, Philosophy Trends.
11. The Core of Philosophy Is Innovation, 1992, Tianjin Social Science, reprinted by Xinhua Digest.
12. The Way of Philosophy to Return Reality, 1993, Social Science Front.
13. The Secret of Philosophy is Mankind, 1993, Philosophy Researches.
14. Historical Base and Time Connotation of Subjects’ Appeal, 1994, Chinese Academies of Social Sciences.
15. Market Economy, Human Subject and Modern Philosophy, 1994, Social Sciences Edition of Jilin University Journal.
16. Mankind’s Quasi-life, Quasi-characteristics and Quasi-philosophy, 1997, Changbai Luncong Essays.
17. Mankind’s Double View of Life: Life in Species and Life in Category, 2001, Jianghai Academic Journal.
18. Features and Values of Ideas of Chinese Traditional Philosophy, 2002, Chinese Academies of Social Sciences.
19. China Needs to Develop Its Own Philosophy Ideas for Future, 2004, Journal of Jilin University.